EL PASO, Texas– The UTEP tennis team (7-10) knocked off the No. 5 team nationally in the JUCO rankings, Seward County Community College, 5-2, at the El Paso Tennis Club Friday. The Miners won the doubles point and then received victories in singles from Thassane Abrahim, Elena Dibattista, Veronika Lebisova and Carlotta Mencaglia to lock up the win.
“This was a very challenging match against a tough nationally-ranked JUCO program,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “They definitely made us fight for this win. I am proud of the team for finding a way to get this done. We are really looking forward to our “Senior Day” match on Sunday at 11 a.m.”
Abrahim and Lebisova defeated Justine Lespes and Camille Belberka, 6-4, at No. 1 doubles. Mencaglia and Eve Daniels took out Lucia Popluhavova and Carol Mora, 6-2, at No. 2 doubles while Percegona and Elena Dibattista downed Alejandra Sandoval and Jimena Llorens, 6-1, at No. 3 doubles.
UTEP kept it going in singles action, claiming victories on four of the six courts to secure the convincing victory against the Saints. Mencaglia rolled past Mora, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 singles. Lebisova was even more dominant, dropping just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 vanquishing of Sandoval at No. 5 singles.
Abrahim kept her composure in battling past Llorens, 6-4, 7-6, at No. 6 singles. Dibattista defeated Popluhavova, 6-3, 7-6, at No. 4 singles. She trailed, 5-2, in the second set before storming back for the win. Percegona was dealt a hard-fought 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 setback at No. 1 singles against Lespes. Lina Sachica was saddled with a similar fate, falling 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, at the hands of Belberka at No. 3 singes.
The Miners will shoot for the second victory in three days while also looking to send their seniors out in style when they play host to the University of the Southwest at 11 a.m. MT Sunday. Percegona and Sachica will be honored in pre-match ceremony for “Senior Day.”
Tennis Match Results
Seward County C.C. vs UTEP
Apr 15, 2022 at El Paso, Texas
(El Paso Tennis Club)
UTEP 5, Seward County C.C. 2
1. Justine Lespes (SCCC) def. Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Carlotta Mencaglia (UTEP) def. Carol Mora (SCCC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Camille Belberka (SCCC) def. Lina Sachica (UTEP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Lucia Popluhavova (SCCC) 6-3, 7-6
5. Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Alejandra Sandoval (SCCC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Jimena Llorens (SCCC) 6-4, 7-6
1. Veronika Lebisova/Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Justine Lespes/Camille Belberka (SCCC) 6-4
2. Carlotta Mencaglia/Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Lucia Popluhavova/Carol Mora (SCCC) 6-2
3. Kathleen Percegona/Elena Dibattista (UTEP) def. Alejandra Sandoval/Jimena Llorens (SCCC) 6-1
Seward County C.C. 9-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,4,6,1,3)