Chapin Edges out Caprock 29-28 to Advance in the Playoffs

Friday Night’s Bi-District matchup between the Amarillo Caprock Longhorns and the Chapin Huskies had a wide-array of emotions for both teams. The Longhorns ended their regular season with two gigantic wins, while the Huskies ended their regular season with a hot 7-game win streak.

The game’s scoring extravaganza began with a 25-yard touchdown pass when Chapin’s Adrian Garcia connected with Anthony Rivera with less than 4 minutes into the game to make it 7-0, Chapin.

Caprock was able to march the ball down the field and even had the ball on the Husky 1-yard-line, but were pushed back 10 yards due to a holding penalty. On the very next play, Chapin’s Rivera intercepted the ball in the endzone to end the Longhorns’ promising first drive.

That interception led to Chapin’s next score, which was a 1-yard Mason Standerfer Touchdown run to make it 14-0, Chapin, with less than 1 minute into the 2nd Quarter.

With most of the 2nd Quarter passing by scoreless, Caprock was able to get their first score of the game with 3:09 before halftime with a 3-yard Damon Carrasco Touchdown run to make it 14-7, Chapin.

With 8 seconds left before halftime, Chapin’s Mason Standerfer was able to find Anthony Rivera for a last-second 24-yard Touchdown pass as time exhausted to send the Huskies into the locker rooms at the half with a 21-7 lead.

Caprock’s Carrasco made sure his Longhorns stuck into the game as he had a 13-yard Touchdown run in the middle of the 3rd Quarter to make it 21-14, Chapin.

Carrasco continued his dominant play on the very first play in the 4th Quarter with a 19-yard Touchdown run to tie the game, 21-21. 
The Longhorns were able to stop the Huskies on their very next drive, then obtained the ball and marched the ball all the way down to the Chapin 5-yard-line. Carrasco then had the ball snapped to him in a Wildcat formation and he ran towards the endzone, but fumbled inside the 1-yard-line and the ball rolled into the endzone and was recovered by his teammate, Keith Johnson, to secure the Touchdown for Caprock and give them their first lead, 28-21, with 8:04 left in the game. 

With 3:39 remaining in the game, the Longhorns seemed to have sealing the game on their minds as they had a 7-point lead and the ball on the Husky 3-yard line. However, with a high snap to Carrasco, the Huskies were able to recover the ball giving them a chance at tying or winning the game with less than 4 minutes left. 

On one of the first plays of the drive, Standerfer found Rivera for a perfect 72-yard pass and land the Huskies on the Caprock 11-yard-line. 
Then, with 50 seconds left in the game, Chapin’s Giovanni Aguilar found the endzone with a 2-yard Touchdown run. The Huskies decided to go for a 2-point conversion and it was successful with a pass from Mason Standerfer to Jacob Williamson to give the Huskies a 29-28 lead. 

With only 50 seconds left, Caprock did their best to get the ball downfield fast with a couple of Hail Mary attempts, but the Husky defense held strong and the game ended with a sack – leading the field to be flooded with a sea of blue jerseys, as Chapin celebrated their 29-28 Bi-District game victory. 

Next week, the Huskies will face off against a Mansfield Summit team who has an overall record of 8-3 and had a huge Friday night victory themselves by a score of 38-14.

After the game Chapin Coach Ryan Warner talked about the win:

Paul David Oliver Reporting